My Blog List

Monday, August 17, 2015

El Nino Steelhead

El Ni·ño
el ˈnēnyō/
1.   an irregularly occurring and complex series of climatic changes affecting the equatorial Pacific region and beyond every few years, characterized by the appearance of unusually warm, nutrient-poor water off northern Peru and Ecuador, typically in late December.

El Nino is an abnormal weather pattern that is caused by the warming of the Pacific Ocean near the equator, off the coast of South America. Every few years, the winds shift and the water in the Pacific Ocean gets warmer than usual.

We had the worst El Nino in 1997-98 and things are already shaping up to be the strongest on record. Now this will have many effects around the country depending on what part of the country you live in. This post is going to be concentrating on the Great Lakes Region and what effects it will have on our upcoming winter. This years is nicknamed Bruce Lee.

If history repeats itself the Great Lakes Region will experience a warmer winter and less snowfall this year in 2015 and 16. After the past two winters of 2013 and 14 that is a welcomed sight for the Steelhead Fisherman. We saw rivers that were actually froze up and  not fishable for months. This all sounds like good news for us but others around the country will not like the effects.

Most of Lower Michigan will have a 40% chance temperatures will be warmer than normal. That also means that there is only a 33% chance of normal Temps. Along with a 27% chance of below normal Temps. Believe it or not the farther North and West you go here in Michigan I predict warmer temps this year.

Don't believe me look up the El Nino Winters of 1972-73, 82-83 and 97-98. Those winters averaged 32.5-33.9 degrees above freezing. That's music to the winter steelheaders ears. To be honest it's up to God and Mother Nature.

Only time will tell this coming winter on my predictions, but if I'm right remember you heard it here first. If I'm wrong take me off your Christmas Card list, ha-ha. 

Feel free to comment and share. 

Take care everyone and thanks for your support.

Get out on the water and enjoy yourself the salmon are running!

Winter Warm Regards!

My next seminar will be September 1st

Join me September 1st will be discussing curing, float and 

plug fishing techniques for River Salmon. Open to all at no 

charge. Location will be the Livonia Senior Center, Southeast

Corner of Farmington and Five Mile Roads. 

15218 Farmington Rd. Livonia, MI 48154 at 7:00 PM.

Don't forget to support our sponsors and subscribe to this BLOG at the top of this page! Your comments are always welcome and join us on Facebook and Twitter or give our page a share with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment